Fried ice cream was always a delicacy reserved for those special nights out at your favorite Mexican restaurant. Now that you have a deep fryer you might as well try to make this delicious delight at home, for a fraction of the cost!
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- 3 cups crushed cornflakes cereal
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 egg whites
- oil for frying
- Scoop the ice cream into 8, 4 oz balls, place on a sheet pan and freeze until solid, about 1 hour
- In a dish, combine the cereal and cinnamon. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Roll ice cream balls in egg whites, then in cornflakes, making sure the ice cream is completely covered. Repeat if necessary. Freeze again until firm about 2-3 hours.
- Heat deep fryer to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using the fryer basket or a slotted spoon, deep fry ice cream balls a couple at a time, for 10 to 15 seconds, until golden brown. Drain quickly on paper towels and serve immediately.
- Serve with caramel, chocolate or butterscotch sauce and enjoy!