Here is an awesome recipe for drive-in style deep fried onion rings. Try this one out so that you can make rings like the pro’s make!
- One large yellow onion
- 1.25 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking power
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- .75 cup bread crumbs or as needed
- seasoned salt, to taste
- Heat the oil in a deep-fryer to 365 degrees F.
- Cut the onion into slice and separate the onion slices into rings, and set aside. In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Dip the onion slices into the flour mixture until they are all coated; set aside.
- Mix the egg and milk into the flour mixture using a fork. Dip the floured rings into the batter to coat, then place on a wire rack that is over a sheet pan covered with foil to drain until the batter stops dripping.
- Spread the bread crumbs out on a large plate. Place rings one at a time into the crumbs, and scoop the crumbs up over the ring to coat. Give it a hard tap as you remove it from the crumbs. The coating should cling very well. Repeat with remaining rings.
- Deep fry the rings a few at a time for approximately 3 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Place on paper towels to drain.
- Season with seasoning salt, and serve while hot.
These onion rings are best served with ketchup or ranch sauce.